example

example
click on main image to link to main blog

Saturday 26 January 2013

linesintheclothandlandscape



The connection between the lines in the ploughed field and the detail in the smocking on the smocks worn by the people ploughing the field is something that I've been thinking about. Did they consciously recreate the world they inhabited within the clothes they wore? Is it inevitable that humans create patterns or seek to find pattern and so order? Which arrived first? I am reminded of the moment, after a move from an urban to a rural area. I realised that within the sculptural books I was making I was recreating references to the landscape around me – ploughed fields, horizon lines and the gills of mushrooms – subconscious or did I just find the motif because I was looking for it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment